#25 -- Ali Baba Bunny


Title - Ali Baba Bunny
Director - Chuck Jones
Released - 1957

Interesting Fact -- Voted #35 of the Top 50 Cartoons of all time by members of the animation field.

Reason for Placement --

This was always one of my top favorite cartoons growing up, I must have watched it countless times.  Bugs is once again on vacation, and as usual, misses that right turn at Albuquerque, but this time, Daffy is tagging a long ("What a way for a duck to travel, underground.").  The two end up in a sealed cavern filled with treasure, so of course, while Bugs is only concerned with getting to Pismo Beach, Daffy becomes obsessed with the treasure, leading to some of the duck's greatest dialogue:

"IT'S MINE, YOU UNDERSTAND?!?  MINE, ALL MINE!  GET BACK IN THERE!  DOWN!  DOWN!  DOWN!  GO!  GO!  GO!  MINE!  MINE!  MINE!"

"I can't help it, I'm a greedy slob... it's my hobby.  Save me!"

Jones definitely perfected the calm Bugs vs. greedy Daffy formula, and this short is a perfect example of the characters' relationship with one another.  Now I do have to point out that there are several other cartoons that Jones made using this same principle, including The Abominable Snow Rabbit & Beanstalk Bunny, which I love just as much, but sadly, do not have room for on the countdown.  So while I highly recommend checking out those shorts as well, I've got to give the spot to Ali Baba Bunny.

Besides, if nothing else, the line "HASSAN CHOP!" remains one of my fiancĂ©e's favorite Looney Tunes moments.  

No comments:

Post a Comment